Thursday, October 15, 2015

How do evil protagonists win the reader over in dark fantasy stories?



I thought about writing fantasy story from the perspective of the evil antagonist (think from Sauron's perspective). So my bad guy will be the protagonist and my good guys will be the antagonist. I want my main protagonist to be in general a bad guy. I don't like the idea of using the "but he thinks he is a good guy". I want my character to be petty, shallow, and selfish.


I am interested in this in large part because it has not been done.


Similar to this would be a fallen angel story. The good guy must become over time as brutal and mean as his opponent to overthrow him.



What are the pitfalls of this type of story? How can I find a way to make an evil protagonist likable, so the reader does not throw away the book?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...