Wednesday, October 28, 2015

cms - Language switch redirect to homepage or content page



I'm using a CMS that supports multiple languages and the build-in SEO tools are decent.


The problem is that it doesn't support switching between languages while remaining on the same page, because it's the creators opinion that content can be different between languages so languages aren't interlinked.


From a user experience point of view I think this is bad but what are your opinions? Is a redirect to the homepage when switching languages ok?



Answer



I think the CMS designers are probably right. The problem is that it is perfectly possible that certain pages are not valid in other languages - the entire site structure MAY be different between languages, and so the current location is not necessarily valid in a new language.


Of course, your particular site may well be identical across languages, but if this cannot be guaranteed, the homepage is a good place to return to. You could, of course, include coding on your page to return to the same page in the new language, but I guess you are trying to avoid this sort of coding.


From a user perspective, I cannot see a good reason for wanting a specific page in another language, rather than the entire site. In other words, I think that the vast majority of users will navigate in the same language that they speak, so they will change language firstly - or very early - and progress from there. Changing language anywhere other than the home page is extremely rare ( I have seen, years ago, so evidence of this ).


So I think you are right to express concern and think about it, but in practical terms, I don't think it is a problem that will arise for many users.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...