Tuesday, October 20, 2015

typography - Readability as a function of measure and leading


I'm writing a thesis, and of course my university has some requirements regarding the typography, specifying in particular the measure (36 pc), the minimum font size (10 pt), and an acceptable range for the leading (1.5 to double spacing).



What is known in general about readability as a function of these parameters and the text font?


I am aware of research showing that lines ranging between 60 and 70 characters optimize ease of reading of single-column text, with longer lines making it harder to pick up the next line. But I don't know if that research only accounts for normal leading (aka single spacing). Increasing the leading will presumably make it easier to pick up the next line after reading a long line?


Because of the university requirements, any reasonable font I choose will produce more than 70 characters per line. So how much should the leading be increased to compensate?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...