Tuesday, January 5, 2016

technique - How can one make technical issues more accessible to a non-technical audience?


Most of what I write is non-fiction -- technical books, blog posts on open source topics, political stuff, etc. Lately, I find that some of the topics I am trying to present are much more technical than the intended audience is used to. I already plan to:




  • Explain terms the first time they are used.




  • Provide helpful asides (sidebars or footnotes, as appropriate) with explanations of concepts the reader might not already have.



    and




  • Use analogies to experiences already familiar to my readers whenever possible.




What else can I do to help a decidedly non-tech audience better understand a technical topic?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...