Tuesday, May 10, 2016

creative writing - What are the basic elements of a crime investigation story?


I've been delving a lot into the the crime investigation genre, and at first I thought "Simple, just start of with Who, What, Where, When, Why and How and you've got yourself a story!" but I quickly realized it's much more complicated than that.



A crime solving story has Leads, it has Witnesses, it has Clues, it has Unexpected Discoveries... and I'm just lost in a sea of possibilities...


So I've tried to reduce the basic structure of a story to this:



  • There is a protagonist who tries to find out the "Who, What, Where, When, Why and How" of the case

  • There are Clues which may or may not go somewhere, and must be interpreted by the protagonist to have any meaning.

  • There are Witnessess who serve both to bring light to the case or muddle it further.

  • There are Misdirections normally due to simple human nature that can cause someone to seem guilty.

  • There are Leads which are advancements in the plot as the protagonist makes sense of everything else

  • And there are Culprits which are responsible for whatever the protagonist is investigating.



So my question is... am I leaving anything out? Is there some fundamental aspect to an investigation I'm forgetting? Bear in mind I consider Plot Twists to simply be a form of Misdirection.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...