Monday, May 9, 2016

website design - Different Logo Colors for Different Uses, Appropriate?


I am finalizing the last step of my logo redesign process.


Is it ok not to have a regular color when presenting my logo?


I am thinking about having a defined list of colors for different use cases but will this take away from my brand?



Answer



To maintain brand identity a logo should generally have a set color scheme.


Generally...





  • Full color




  • Two Color (if appropriate)




  • One Color




  • Reversed





If you vary beyond this and start swapping colors for every projects you greatly degrade any brand identity unless the color variations are for a very specific reason.


Think of any major brand... does their logo change colors beyond the 4 items listed above?


The only real exception I can think of is the FedEx logo. FedEx uses color variations to indicate various services.


FedEx variations


In this instance the color change makes sense. Since the base color (violet/purple) is used in all instances, the marks have the same basic structure and only the color of "Ex" changes. This clearly indicates a sub-set of the main corporation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...