Thursday, May 12, 2016

Finding the 'voice' of a character


This is a very general question that I want to throw out there just to get some insight into different approaches used. I have my own, but am intrigued to know what others might try.


I'm wondering what processes you might go through in order to develop a unique 'voice' for a character? I'm concerned specifically with applying this to stage plays, although any insight into character voice development for novels or other I would also be interested in hearing about.


Thanks in advance



Answer



I do it by interviewing my characters. The main idea is to probe and challenge the character, then follow the character's energy.




  1. Ask a question that invites the character to tell me something new

  2. Listen for emotional intensity in the answer. Sometimes the emotion is subtle, and other times it’s big and obvious.

  3. Ask my next question based on that emotion.


Here's a slightly expanded explanation, with example interviews: http://dalewriting.dale.emery.name/2008/09/interviews/


In most of these interviews, I was surprised to find my image of the characters changing. Each one left me with a clear sense of the character's voice.


I also found the numerous character exercises in Will Dunne's The Dramatic Writer's Companion enormously helpful. They're not the usual laundry list of boring questions about characters. Dunne's exercises help you dig into the characters' beliefs and attitudes about things that matter in people's lives, things that generate conflict, story, and personality.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...