Thursday, May 5, 2016

fiction - How to *show* a controversial reality without seeming like I'm treating it as acceptable and without making it explicit that this is wrong?


I have a story which has some controversial social problems, and my intention is to just show these issues (for drama) realistically and impartially (i.e. just showing the facts, without imposing any opinion).


But the problem is that, by doing just that, I can be accused of "making apology" to these things, as if I'm treating these things as acceptable/normal. So I need to show it with at least a slightly negative view on that, but I don't want to do it in a "Dewd, that's bad! Don't do that." kind of way, and without punishing the culprit characters in some way (such as making them go to jail), because, let's face it, most people who do these things go unpunished, unfortunately. Also, I don't want to deeply explore these subjects, as that's not the story's goal (it's just a substory).


So how can I just show these things without making it ambiguous if I'm in favor or not and without "preaching" that these things are bad?



Answer



You do not have to preach they are bad. They are bad because they harm others in some way. If you wish to show reality, show that harm, whatever it may be, beginning or taking place or having already taken place with previous victims.


Don't tell us they are bad, show us they are bad. As the narrator, you can neutrally tell that tale. As an author, you won't be accused of being an apologist, because you did not show the outcomes as being neutral, but clearly bad for somebody, even if the perpetrators are happy with themselves.



If you are trying to avoid being an apologist and also trying to not show any harm being done, I don't think that is possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...