Monday, July 18, 2016

characters - How best to avoid the appearance of stereotype?


I am seriously considering adding a character based on a man I know. This man is very irksome, rather pretentious and refers to himself in the third person.


He is flamboyant, opinionated and one thing that is very important to him is his sexual orientation - which he announces to anyone who will listen.



He is judgmental, though sees himself as a shining light of tolerance.


He is a pretentious jerk, but he is interesting in his certainty of so many things, including his own worth. My lack of pity, to him, he sees as failing to understand his situation or care about him. My empathy goes elsewhere and asking for pity is an odd thing.


I want to add him, but suspect that it might seem insulting if I make the character gay. I would rather just have him a pretentious twat and be silent on orientation.


The rest of my characters are either presumed heterosexual or nothing is said on the matter.


What would be the best course with this pretentious character?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...