Saturday, July 16, 2016

color theory - Light text on a dark background vs. dark text on a light background: which allows the reader to keep focusing for longer?


I did not want to get to the endless war of dark-on-light vs light-on-dark, but recently I discovered something interesting: while light-on-dark text is still less tiring for my eyes (and I also personally prefer it more), dark-on-light seemed to do better on holding my attention on the content of the text; in other words it helps focusing more on what you read. This is much more noticeable with longer text that take a few minutes to read.


I'm looking for any papers, researches, measurements, Google Analytics, anything, that was done to see if a text was more understandable, stuck more with the reader, made it easier to recall from memory and not for the ones concentrating on readability.


Has anyone done research indicating one way or the other?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...