Wednesday, July 27, 2016

usability - Should web mega-menus that open OnClick close OnClick or Mouseout?


I have been doing some research on this site regarding whether a mega menu on a web site should activate/deactivate via hover or click.


I found a question with good answers regarding actuating the menu.



What I want to know is whether a menu that was opened via click should close via click, or whether the mouse leaving the mega menu area is more usable (i.e. click to activate, mouseout to de-activate)?



Answer



Mega menu contains a lot of information and user probably is under significant mental load while working with it. So if random mouseouts close the menu the task flow is broken and it's very annoying for user to re-start the work again.


So I think it's reasonable to close mega menus onclick as well as onclick at outside menu area. These actions reflect the user intention in more obvious way then just mouseout.


This question leads me to the rule: the more complex or important interaction is the more protected it should be, considering Murphy's law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong".


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...