Friday, September 2, 2016

Photoshop: How to draw a guide with an exact distance from another guide


Before drawing, I want to draw all guides for my layout. For example, I have a guide line named A already. After that, I want to have another guide named B parallel with guide A and at 50px distance from it.


I have three solutions:



  1. Draw line B and by "some way", I can see the current distance directly when I'm drawing, so I can make the distance exactly what I want it to be.

  2. Draw line B. And then I use the Ruler tool to see the distance between the two guides. This method has disadvantages: maybe the ruler line that I draw isn't perpendicular with the guides and I'm not sure when the distance is enough.

  3. There are other clever ways, that help me get this job done fast and easily, but that I don't know yet. I think Photoshop should support this feature.


What is the best way to achieve this?




Answer



Photoshop CC has a new feature called "New Guide Layout" that is probably what you're after. View > New Guide Layout:


enter image description here


The alternative, and what I still am likely to do is setup a guide. Then use the rectangular marquee to determine size. Say you want 150px, I changed Marquee to Fixed Size and width 150px (can see this on top bar):


enter image description here


Snap left side to guide. Then add next guide:


enter image description here


Use arrow tool to easily move the marquee to next guide:


enter image description here


and repeat:



enter image description here


This is also useful if you don't have set measurements but want to make things even. Marquee from the edge of the document to a particular point then move the marquee to the opposite edge to set up both sides.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...