Wednesday, December 7, 2016

3d - Illustrator CS5 brick pattern with perspective


I created a curving arrow shape that starts wide at the bottom and thins out near the top where the point is. I also created a brick pattern swatch but when I apply it to the shape it appears like the pattern is overlaid instead of like a real road where the bricks follow the shape and narrows near the most distant point. How can I apply a perspective to the brick pattern without looking like I used a clipping mask?


Here is a link to what I achieved with a clipping mask - not what I want though. I need the bricks to look like they are inlaid just like in real life.



road



Answer



An easy way is to redraw your arrow and use Illustrators 3D-Tools to do the perspective parts.


You start by redrawing your arrow in 2D like this: enter image description here


Next up, apply your brick pattern to your arrow. enter image description here


Then you use Effect > 3D > Rotate Check the preview box and adjust the settings to your liking.
(To bring in the perspective you need to adjust the perspective-slider)


Hit okay and you have an arrow with a correctly mapped pattern as you can see here: enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...