Sunday, December 4, 2016

style - When should a chapter end?


When writing a novel, when should I end a chapter?


Note that I'm not talking about chapter word-count (that topic was discussed here). I'm interested to know when should I end my chapters conceptually.



Is there a rule of thumb? Examples will be appreciated.



Answer



Follow the standard plot arc: conflict, rising action, and resolution. This is often used to describe plots across a whole novel, but it is equally applicable to a single scene. Each scene needs a conflict of some kind, and the action in that scene will flow from this conflict. When the conflict is resolved (temporarily or permanently), the scene is over.


There is often only a single scene per chapter, but you might put several scenes in the same chapter if they are closely related, or if they illustrate some larger arc of conflict and resolution.


Alternately, some authors choose to end a chapter right before the resolution. When done well, this can add suspense and keep the reader flipping pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...