Friday, May 26, 2017

Client wants font as logo



I wrote the business name of my client's using a font for a design I created. The client wants me to send him "that" - the name of his business in "that type of fancy/cool" font - as a logo to him. In other words he thinks it is a logo.


What should I say and how should I approach this situation, knowing that what he is requesting is not a logo? It's simply just a type of font... What he is requesting would fall under me sending him the type of font name/file.. but in my personal opinion I don't think that should be done due to purchasing fee's restrictions and such.


I should state that the font is free to use for personal use only. The purchased version is for commercial use, which I did purchase.


I would appreciate any recommendations on how to address these types of issues when clients request such things. Thanks in advance.



Answer



First of all, it is possible to simple have a typographic logo solution. Logos do not have to be graphic marks or use an original font. If your client is happy with what you've made as a standalone logo, then you should be able to create outlines out of the logo and send him a vector form of the logo without going against the copyright. However, perhaps you'd like to encourage your client to have a more complete branding made for his company. Corporate branding really involves much more than simply a type treatment of the company's name or even a great logo.


You cannot send your client a copy of the actual font software, but you can send him the name of the font and like I said, a vector of what he's considering to be his logo.


Hope this helps a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...