Wednesday, May 31, 2017

conventions - Should there be a space after the copyright symbol ©?



To space, or not to space, that is the question:


Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to place the copyright statement in the footer of an application, or somewhere else, is beside the point. What I want to know is: regardless of where one places it, is there a best practice, convention, or standard that states whether or not one should put a space between the copyright symbol © and the year?







© 2014 Some Company, Inc.









©2014 Some Company, Inc.




I'm not looking for opinions, but I figured I'd give mine. My personal opinion is that my eye is immediately drawn to the "with space" option as a cleaner solution; the "without space" option somehow just doesn't look right to me.



Answer



A poke around Google suggests that most guides on usage of the symbol agree with your intuition. This article emphasizes that you should use a non-breaking space to avoid the symbol and the copyright holder being on two different lines or pages. Their reasoning is as follows:



Must you put a space af­ter the copy­right sym­bol? No, but se­man­ti­cal­ly, it makes good sense. The © di­rect­ly re­places the word copyright, so it should be spaced like any oth­er word.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...