Friday, May 5, 2017

messages - How to inform user that settings are in localstorage, and apply to this browser only?


I have a settings page in this web app where a user can configure the categories of notifications that they want to show or hide.


How can I inform the user that these settings are not global (i.e. saved on the server and apply to all users), but are saved in localstorage, and apply to this browser only?


If I should use some sort of message, I'm not sure how to word it without getting too technical.



Answer




I wouldn't store in the localstorage. Localstorage is mainly for cache only. Store on the server, bind the data to the username. You can loose localstorage data when reinstalling computer, upgrading browser or working from home. Use it only for browser-specific settings, if any. Most people expect user-name authenticated webapps to magically work from anywhere.


On the other side, these are system admins according to your previous question, just tell them the truth: "this gets stored only in your browser, not in your user profile - it won't be accessible from a different browser or after reinstall.", and that's it. They're sysadmins, they know what this means I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...