Friday, May 12, 2017

Hangman game on mobile - Qwerty or alphabetical keyboard


I'm building a hangman game as part of a bigger mobile educational application. As you know for hangman you select letters and see if they are part of the word or sentence. I'm trying to decide if I should use a Qwerty layout for selecting letters or an alphabetical layout. My personal preference is alphabetical, but I have no good arguments to defend this choice.


What layout is the best choice and why?



Answer



You should cater the input to the particular usage. In this case it is a Hangman game, so do some research around how other Hangman games work.


As some extensive research shows (i.e. doing a quick Google Images search for 'Hangman Game' it shows that the far more popular route is to take an alphabetical approach.



enter image description here


enter image description here


enter image description here


enter image description here


Now, this is far from a conclusive test, but it highlights the main suggestion - research user expectations and let that guide your decision rather than making the decision in isolation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...