Monday, May 15, 2017

fiction - Research overgrown main novel plan and writing


I want your opinion on this:



For about half a year now I've researched my novel. Because of situating the story to the part of an original Earth's history, I made my research about history, demography, major figures, weather, technologies of that time, and security issues, as well as the migration of whole hearth.


Materials piled.


Now I have my own changed history course of the entire species, its own culture, problems, migration, new state course like theology and more, pathology results for research across the world and everything else.


From my original planned book I have about one chapter and that chapter itself is a bit small. Just a few pages.


Main character doesn't have the whole history of his life, but about a half.


Here is a problem:


I have so much information about my "remade world" that I can write its whole history like a book itself. And I like it so much. What would you do in my situation?


Would you write the history itself first, or just finish the life and story of the main character and some other characters needed for an original project and write it and after that will you write that history of your world itself?


Thanks for your advice.



Answer




In many (maybe most) cases over-research is a distraction our minds create to make us believe we are working on a project that we really don't want to write for some reason.


It could be that we are afraid to write it because we have this beautiful idea of what we want and we are unsure if we could ever write it that well.


The Best Advice


The best thing you can do is write the part of the story that excites you the most. If you are most interested in the characters, then start writing what the characters are doing. If it is story then write the action of the plot.


You must write what you are 100% interested in so you can keep up the writing work over the course of the novel. Otherwise you will be bored and your readers will be more bored.


Use Exposition, Not Narrative


This means, show don't tell. As you write the parts you really like, make sure you don't tell us, but you show us.


Not



John woke up to the alarm clock and was feeling sad.




Better



John woke up, looked at the clock and rubbed his eyes. It was already 12:17pm. He sat up and scratched the hair over his ear. No reason to get up. No one cares. He stumbled to the living room, turned on the TV and fell onto the couch.



Just Go Write It


Now, just go write it. It'll come out great because you have all that information behind you.


Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...