Sunday, May 27, 2018

adobe illustrator - What unique benefits does the EPS format provide?


Reading this excellent question regarding logo export formats, and it made me want to ask a question that was a little bit more narrowly focused than that one.


I know when to use a GIF and when to use a JPG, how to optimize certain raster images for certain scenarios. But I feel like the only reason I ever use EPS is because "that's what you're supposed to do," which isn't really a good reason.



So, what is the purpose of an EPS format? What does it do that AI, PDF, and SVG formats do not?


In my experience, non-technical people don't need EPS files, they need JPEGs and GIFs and maybe PDFs. Other designers will almost certainly be able to handle an AI file, and can definitely handle a PDF. For the Web, SVG and PDF make more sense.


The printing realm is one where I'm really not that experienced, so I can't speak to that.


Is this a legacy thing? A compatibility thing? Something for the Quark crowd? Or is there a real benefit that EPS brings that other formats can't do? Would anyone in the audience be hurting if he or she could no longer export to EPS?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...