Saturday, May 19, 2018

character development - How to make sure that you don't end up writing a Self-Insert?


Could I get some pointer as how to NOT write a Self-Insert/Mary Sue?


What I mean: according to Urban Dictionary a Self-Insert is "A story in which the reader inserts himself or herself; this usually occurs within a fanfiction"


Self-Inserted Characters commonly have almost NO personality (In order to asist the reader in inserting their personality onto the Self-Insert character, an example of Self-Inserts include: JRPG Protagonists that don't speak, Kirito,Red from Pokemon, etc.)


My Question: What are some general pointers that I could use in order to help prevent myself from writing a Self-Insert/Mary Sue?



P.S. Yes, it IS possible to unintentionally write Self-Inserts/Mary Sue's.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...