Thursday, May 10, 2018

web - Should I optimize my website for non-JavaScript users?


I have been working on a website which relies mainly on Ajax calls and jQuery to provide a rich user interface. Though the site looks just fine without JavaScript enabled. Some features like Login and Product Listing don't work because they are purely Ajax and jQuery based.


Should I optimize my website for users that don't have JavaScript enabled?



Answer




You know, I've read a lot of arguments on whether or not a site should allow for those who disable Javascript, and I've come to one conclusion: don't do it.


Javascript has become a standard of the web


I decided one day to disable Javascript and see if Facebook would function at all. It did not.


This is because Facebook is run on Javascript (for the most part) and functions with AJAX/jQuery and all these queues running simultaneously to allow a better and more effective experience on their application.


These days a lot of sites who maintain a highly interactive and highly immersive site rely on Javascript. Most people who do not have Javascript do it by choice. This is an important piece of information because this isn't an accessibility issue (if it were, that's a different story entirely).


Quite honestly, when it comes down to me building my applications I don't consider those people because I want to create a better seamless experience, and by hacking a half-baked one wont cut it anymore for me.


Consider this however


If your target user base is going to be turning off Javascript, then make a site without Javascript. It all comes down to the target user base. Don't do something where you'll know your users wont do it.


Final sum up


The number of users who are turning off Javascript is diminishing by the passing years, and my thoughts on that is because as technology keeps snow balling, the demand for a better experience keeps increasing. And having a page that constantly needs refreshing to update something wont cut it anymore for people. Just imagine your iPhone constantly going blank to load a new page or application... That would break the whole experience. In my honest opinion, I think you shouldn't do it, especially because you said your application heavily relies on Javascript and what it brings to the experience of your site.



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...