Tuesday, May 8, 2018

portfolio - What are some tips for getting hired without a formal education?


I don't really want to go into too much detail, but my life took an unexpected turn and I haven't been able to transfer into a 4 year college. I only have an AA degree but I've taken loads of random classes and also have a couple of certificates. I've been working at a completely unrelated job for the last 6 years but have been doing quite a bit of freelance work on the side and even more personal art/illustrations. I think over the years I've built up a pretty good and diverse portfolio, even though a lot of it is from personal projects. I spend just about all of my free time working on some kind of design project.


Anyway, I want to start looking for an actual design job and was hoping to get some tips on getting an interview. Also, I'm not sure what to do about my resume since I've never actually worked as a full-time designer. Like I said, all the paid design work I've done has been random freelance stuff whenever I could find it. I feel like my portfolio is pretty good at least, but I did spend a lot of time and effort on it. I figured it should be top-notch if I didn't have a degree so I'm really hoping that's the important thing. Anyway, I would really appreciate any tips. Thanks.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...