Sunday, May 27, 2018

typography - How to set the tone of large passages of text without italics?


Here and there in my article, there are paragraphs that need to set a different tone. So far I’ve used italic Times New Roman and indented the paragraph:



This looks good if it’s one line sentence or a five-line paragraph. But for a page-long preamble it seems that large blocks of italic text are harder to read:



Is there a way to set the tone for the preamble the same as the other paragraphs? A different typeface maybe? Or is de-italicizing the only way?


Indents, rules, flourishes are just for making a distinction, not really setting the tone of the text as they don’t change the typeface. Only italic or a font change can do that, I think.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...