Thursday, May 24, 2018

gui design - Should I use country flags in language selection fields?


My users can create content in different languages, and I need to provide an option to choose the language when they enter new content.


Right now there are only 5 languages (en, fr, de, pt, es), and I was wondering if using country flags is the correct way to represent languages, or should I rather just provide labels (English, French, Deutsch, ...), since I'm never really sure if I should use the American or British flag to represent the English language.


Right now, the system is intended to store technical information, so there wouldn't be a need for en-gb or en-us or other sub-languages.



Answer



The short answer is no, don't use country flags.




The preferred method is to use the name of the language in the language itself (and watch out for diacriticals, language specific capitalization, etc).



I'd say that using a flag only is a big no-no



The author recommends to use



The name of the language as text in the language itself, possibly followed by the name of the language in the language of the current page.



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...