Monday, December 10, 2018

adobe photoshop - How to conserve space when saving cropped and uncropped versions of each PSD?



For many years I have had the same workflow for saving my photo edits in PS.


1) Open raw file, perform all edits, save as IMG-xxxx.PSD for archival.
2) Rotate a fraction of a degree to level, crop to something pretty for web sharing, save as IMG-xxxx-crop.PSD for archival.
3) I also archive the raw file obviously, but I very rarely reference it in the future unless I decide I want to edit differently for a new render/print.


I save the uncropped version for obvious reasons (in case I ever want to crop differently). I save the cropped version because sometimes cropping is a hard choice, and I want to remember that choice. But the problem is that I'm saving most of the image data in two PSD's, which is pretty wasteful of space. If there was any way to save the crop parameters as a pointer/reference to the uncropped PSD, that would be ideal... the cropped file really shouldn't need to take up space as long as the uncropped file exists too.


I'm doubtful that something exists which can help me, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Any ideas?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...