Friday, December 28, 2018

mobile - How should modal popups and tool tips be handled in responsive websites?


I am reviewing some website wireframes from a client and have decided to make the new site responsive. I've had pretty good luck so far with responsive theming and design from a few past projects and they look and act really nice across widths / devices.


However this particular wireframe has quite a few modals and hover windows with lots of information in them.


My questions are:



  1. Will this be like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole?

  2. Do we need to perhaps go the m.domain.com route where we query the device and design two separate websites?

  3. Should I advise the client to do away with so many modals and hover windows if we go the Responsive route?



I know these are subjective questions so not really sure if this is appropriate within this type of forum.



Answer




Should I advise the client to do away with so many modals and hover windows if we go the Responsive route?



I'd restate that question as:


Should I advise the client to do away with so many modals and hover windows?


And the answer to that is, usually, yes.


But not always. If it's a very complex desktop-centric site, maybe modals are a good option there.



The catch is that on mobile devices, modals are somewhat useless, given that the size of the screen usually means that a modal smaller than that, is rarely useful.


You could consider having two forms of modals...the pop-up on big screens, the separate page on mobile. How easy/difficult that may be to implement, I don't know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...