Sunday, January 11, 2015

design patterns - What is the name for the technique used on Yammer, LinkedIn etc profile pages?


The technique I mean is where the profile page will say "You have completed 60% of your profile, fill in your x, y and z to get to 100%". I think this is a very powerful technique but I can't remember what it's called so I can't direct my boss to any articles about it. I think it ends in 'bar'.



Answer



The ui control or pattern for this is Completeness Meter (See the ui pattern for this). It's sometimes called a Progress Bar, but that term also has a much more generic use - such as in the case of a download percentage, and less specific to the sort of profile completeness you are talking about.


The underlying concept is that of Gradual Engagement. The profile completion percentage is a motivator to increase the amount of information given to the website, but essentially it's all about gradual engagement. Other terms include progressive disclosure but I prefer gradual engagement - especially since the term has stuck thanks to the likes of Luke Wroblewski - see his pages on this topic - and his preso on why sign up forms must die



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...