Friday, January 23, 2015

portfolio management - What does "1-month horizon" mean in VaR calculations


For a simple equity portfolio, I need to compute historical 1-year simulation VaR with a "1-month horizon".


I imagine this means I need to compute the 1-month return of the portfolio at each point in my 1-year history, eg. what is the 1-month return on the 1st of January, on the 2nd of January, on the 3rd, 4th, etc. Is that correct?


And if yes, does it make sense to use a 22-day horizon to eliminate any silly biases such as some months having more work days than others? (I get the 22-day window because there are roughly 260 business days in a year, divide that by 12 to get roughly 22)



Answer



yes it is correct and yes it makes sense and is fairly standard to use 22 days for "1 month".


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...