Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Why do I get this dialog when I open the pattern editor in Illustrator CC?


I created a pattern and dragged it to the swatches panel. Now I keep getting this dialog every time I double click the pattern in the swatches panel to open the pattern editor mode.



A clipping mask was created around the pattern tile bounds to preserve legacy pattern appearance.


For best results, release the clipping mask when changing the tile size or editing art that overlaps the tile edge.



enter image description here



Answer




You probably created the pattern and have a clipping mask around it, meaning that it clips (cut's off) surrounding artwork to fit into a shape:


You can undo (release) this by: Right click→Release Clipping Mask




How clipping masks work:


Left side: Pattern + shape I want to crop it into


Right side: Clipping result


enter image description here


Read more about clipping masks at Adobe


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...