Monday, January 12, 2015

Greeks of self-financing portfolio


I would like to learn more about the Greeks of portfolios of options:


In textbooks and websites, I commonly encounter the unqualified claim that "The Greek measure of a portfolio is the sum of the Greeks of the individual portfolio components". This statement is obviously true for constant portfolios (due to the linearity of mathematical derivatives), but I am pretty sure it cannot always be true for non-constant, non-self-financing portfolios.


What I am unsure about, is whether the claim is always true for non-constant, self-financing portfolios. For self-financing portfolios, dV = h·dS (where V is the value of the portfolio and S the vector of the values of portfolio components), so I expect that that the claim should be true for first derivatives such as delta and theta. But what about second derivatives such as gamma?


I would appreciate it very much if anyone could provide me with a proof that each of the Greeks of a self-financing portfolio is indeed the sum of the Greeks of the components. Or if the proof is a bit lengthy, if you could refer me to a book (or article or website) where the proof is discussed in proper detail.


Thanks!





No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...