Friday, January 23, 2015

homepage - Why do websites write "Welcome to website" as their webpage title?


I was on Steam today and noticed this:


Browser tab, showing:


Why do websites do this?


I know that Steam isn't the only one and I can't imagine it helps increase sales or has any effect on the user.




Answer



Several reasons spring to mind...



  1. Habit ofnot knowing what else to describe the content that exists on the page.

  2. Bad or nonexistant SEO practices which would have the content described within the title and description properly.

  3. Acting like a doormat, it is after all the first time a user comes to the front door of the site, that being said it shouldn't rule out #2.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...