Friday, October 2, 2015

How to label Table Header Label Date vs. Date/Time


I have a table with a date time column. Right now the label reads "Closure Date" and it seems fine to me.


I was wondering it was better practice to label it something like "Closure Date/Time".


See this fiddle for the example. Screen shot:


header label options


Option 1 is the current usage. Two is the alternative.



Answer



It's not unusual for 'dates' to include times or for 'times' to include dates, so I don't think many people would be confused by the shorter heading. That said, it's good to be explicit if you have space for the longer heading.



Perhaps more important is making the purpose of that date/time clear. Consider whether your users will know what "closure" means.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...