Thursday, March 10, 2016

technique - Writing Action In A fictional Journal


I have written a story in the form of a journal. It's about a man who is going through a separation/divorce, living alone in an unfurnished apartment; now lonely and longing for companionship.


Anyway, I've always felt that the beginning (first 40 or so pages) was kinda slow and while interesting and informative about the guys' predicament, but not really compelling enough for the reader to continue on. A friend of mine who is reading it told me, after reading about a third of it, that it was very realistic and great writing, but then said, "Maybe there should be more action." So now I'm going through it and trying to add some "action" in there, and don't see how I can do that.


There is a lot of action in the second half of the story, but if I lose my audience before they get there...Any ideas or suggestions?


Thanks.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...