Friday, March 18, 2016

What font is used for the intro of The Joy of Painting?



I've tried the sites suggested by this meta post:





This is the intro screen from Bob Ross', The Joy of Painting.



The show created episodes from 1983 to 1994, which may help identify the font. The intro pictured above, contains:




  • a cursive font

  • some kind of stencil font

  • a serif font


I'm looking for the name of the stencil font (used for "Bob Ross") or a close likeness of it.




Note: Comments regarding the other fonts pictured are much appreciated, but not on-topic to this question. Please e-mail me, or message me in one of the chat rooms.



Answer



From that era it's probably not a computer font but a phototypesetting typeface. Many have never been vectorized. I looked though an 1965 Photo-Lettering Inc. catalogue and found one with a similar style, unfortunately not really a close match.



The section of the catalogue is called Pop Type, I added the header info for further explanations.


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...