Friday, March 25, 2016

vector - Is vectorizing an image copyright infringement if the image is not CC/Public domain?


Is it okay to vectorize this image to make a poster out of it even though the image is not Creative Commons or anything like that? I'm not using any part of the image directly and only going to use it as a guide to make my own SVG version.


This is the image:


50 Years of Space Exploration image


Here is original Image.


It says that it is CC licensed but the original NatGeo one isn't, I don't think.


I don't plan to make money off it or anything, I just want a nice poster and the quality of the original isn't that good.



Answer



Yes, a vectorized image generally counts as a derivative of the original, which means that distributing it without the original copyright holder's permission would be a copyright violation.


Of course, if you just want to make a nice poster to hang on your own wall, then you're probably safe — doing so may or may not be legal, depending on your local laws, but realistically, who's going to bother to sue you?



(Please note that I'm not trying to encourage you to break any laws, just stating a fact. You should find out whether your local laws permit this kind of copying for personal use, and make your own informed decision about whether it's wise to do so.)


If you intend to sell your poster, though, or even distribute it for free, I'd strongly advise against it — if for no other reason, than because the image you linked to looks very much like something that National Geographic might want to sell as a poster themselves. That might significantly increase their motivation to sue you if they find you stealing their potential profits.


Ps. It turns out that the image is for sale as a poster at least here and here. I had no luck with any of the obvious searches, but then I thought to try the artist's name plus "poster".


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...