Tuesday, August 22, 2017

adobe illustrator - Multiple non-inheriting transforms effects?


I'm designing a template for product packaging. While designing, I'd like to have the layout as it would be printed out flat, but I'd also like to have different 'views' (front, back, bottom, etc) so that they can be easily show to other people.


I'd like to do this with a transform so that I won't accidentally have any differences between the layout and the views.


Here is what I'm trying to achieve: http://imgur.com/a/3Ponj#0


First I apply the transform effect to the "Original" (rotate, move horizontally and vertically) (image 2)


Then I add a compound clipping mask so that the "C" panel isn't shown in the view I just made (image 3)


So far so good. When I try to add another transform effect is where the problem arises (image 4)


As you can see, the second transform is including everything from the first transform. Is there a way around this? Or maybe a better way of doing what I'm trying to achieve? I am using AI CS5.5.




Answer



The Transform Effect only allows for the replication of the effect on all copies. THere's no way to create copies via the Transform Effect and then alter each copy independently.


A better solution....


Set up the first item and then drag it to the Symbol Panel. This will turn the layout into a symbol. Copy the symbol on the artboard and rotate it, mask it, scale it, etc.


If you then need to edit the original, simply double-click the symbol in the Symbol Panel. All edits will be reflected in all copies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...