Sunday, August 13, 2017

usability - Is the "clear" button still necessary in a contact form?


I'm putting together a basic contact form for a standard business/company site. First name, last name, email, phone number and message. I was tempted to put a "clear" button to clear the form and I thought to myself is this necessary. IE puts the clear marker at the end of each field. Is the clear button necessary for the contact forms?



Answer



It depends on your situation; a simple one page contact / enquiry form does not need a reset form. Why would you need to reset anything since nothing has been stored yet. If you really need to start over, you could always just refresh the page.


However, if you have a form consisting of multiple pages, the filled in fields have most likely been stored in for instance a session. In that case you should offer a reset button as of the second page.


I would say it depends on wether or not any data has been saved yet that can be cleared.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...