Friday, August 18, 2017

Honeypot captchas and accessibility


I have been looking at ways to prevent spam bots from posting, regstering and performing actions on my site.


Initially, I thought about implementing ReCAPTCHA using its API. However, I have found ReCAPTCHAs to be getting more difficult to read these days (some of the distorted letters aren't even legible!). I also found the audio option supplied for vision-impaired users to be frustrating and even harder to use.



I have been looking at other ways to prevent spam bots. The checkbox captcha and honeypot captcha are described on this site, so I won't go on and describe them.


I have ruled out a checkbox captcha because it is generated client-side using javascript. I only use Javascript for progressive enhancemet.


The honeypot captcha seems to be the best solution. However, I am interested in its accessibility with screen readers and other web browsing tools for the visually impaired, having no experience with those tools.


How good are screen readers/ visually impaired tools at parsing CSS? Do they even parse and apply css styles? Has anyone got any examples or implemented honeypot captchas that satisfies accessibility compliance?



Answer



The typical honeypot CAPTCHA field has a proper label: "If you are a human, do not fill in this field." or some other clear label telling the user what it is.


And, as such, a screen reader should read it just fine.


If you're looking for true usability and accessibility, however, then realize any sort of CAPTCHA is a detriment. It's putting the burden on the site user rather than site owner.


Of course, that's often a tradeoff that has to be done for pragmatic reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...