Monday, October 16, 2017

copyright - Is it safe to create a wiki for a book (or something featured in it) before the book is published?


I'm working on a sci-fi novel, and it contains a lot of fictional creatures, which are in some ways separate from the novel because I came up with them a while before I actually got the idea to write a novel.


Would it be safe to create a wiki for my creations before the book is published (and before I've gone through the hoops of copyright etc)?


For clarity in light of the answers so far:



  • The reason for the wiki would be that basically I think others might find the creatures I've created interesting (even if I never did publish the book), and I'd like to see what others (who like fiction) would do with them.

  • Others could use the descriptions of these creatures to create illustrations and artwork, and I and others would enjoy this I'm sure.

  • @Xqyz Well part of the value for me, is that in this age of everything being electronic, some things can be publicized before they are finalized. So, I guess seeing as I will likely publish first in ebook format or something, and I'm hoping to get a community around the whole concept in the novel - a wiki with the creatures would be of great value to me. If others create new species from what I've created for example, I would love that :) (this was originally a comment)


  • I'll add some more reasons as I get my thoughts together ;).



Answer



Define what you mean with "safe".


If you invented them and publish them, then no-one can use them, if your creatures are specific enough to be recognized as your creation. I.e if you created a vampire, which looks like the standard vampire around the corner, then there is nothing worth to be intellectual protected here. If you create a vampire which carries his head between his legs and uses his neck as an umbrella stand, then that's a difference to the ordinary vampire.


On the other side, if you build up a fan community (what I think is a good idea) and these guys draw pictures according to your descriptions, then they own the copyright of their work. You cannot use these illustrations in your book without their permission. Same is true for creatures they have invented.


So the key thing here is, to establish rules for your wiki. You have to tell people what they are allowed to do with your intellectual property, and what you want to do with their property. Then they have to agree to that treaty before posting stuff. Sounds like you need a lawyer, if you ask me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...