Sunday, October 15, 2017

marketing - Are QR Codes good UX?


I have been falling in love with QR Codes, the little nerd in me jumps with joy at all the possibilities and even the action of interacting with physical things with my digital device is enthralling.


However, when I discussed QR codes with a small group of web designers they did not like them very much. And a few times in public when I saw them, my friends did not know what they were.


That all may be because they are new, but they may be right. I know I am too biast to make a good decision.


So here is the question: Are QR codes (and the like) good UX in advertising, business cards, and the sort. Do they break any fundamental laws of UX or do they help UX problems and engage users.



Answer



One might think of them as a progressive enhancement. As long as the QR code doesn't replace a traditional call-to-action, I don't see how it could do any harm.


Theoretically, a QR code that points to a web site should be accompanied by a printed URL. Those who know how to use the QR code would be spared the trouble of typing in the URL. Those who don't know about QR codes, or don't have a device that can read them handy, aren't missing out.


However, I suspect the main reason marketers use QR codes is because "the little nerd in me jumps with joy at all the possibilities," so making the information accessible without a QR reader would spoil the fun. As long as engaging you (and your friends) is the main purpose of the QR code, and others don't miss out on critical information, I think it's a good idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...