Tuesday, October 24, 2017

style - How to create varying, yet realistic, speech patterns



Different characters speak differently. If someone reads me a letter written by an immediate relative, I can tell right away who wrote it. I believe --and correct me if I'm wrong-- that giving each major character a subtly unique way of speaking can help make the character seem more real.


What practices are used to make different characters speak differently?


I can't bear the thought of reverting to crutches such as speech impediments, favored swear-words, or noticeable accents.


And yet, I've read far too many books where I felt that the characters all spoke alike.


How can I make the differences be subtle, so that:



  1. Characters don't sound the same; and yet-

  2. The difference sounds natural, and not as if I'm forcing the characters to talk in a way they shouldn't?


Note: My question is referring to speech patterns only, not to character behavior.




Answer



Consider the different characters':



  • Level of intelligence

    • stupid characters contribute stupid thoughts to conversation

    • smart characters might only contribute when they know they have something important to say



  • Interest in the conversation


  • Social personality: whether introverted or extraverted

  • Subject matter of interest (since they would continually bring it up):

    • A priest constantly going back to the bible

    • A war veteran who relates everything to "the war"

    • A player constantly talking about women



  • Level of engagement with the conversation's subject matter

  • Use of gestures with speaking


  • Relationship to the other characters speaking:

    • Their reactions, both physical and in dialogue to the other speakers

    • Any subtext brought about by the relationship(s)




Give each character about 4-5 "characteristic" phrases they use often. Eg:



  • "Seems like"


  • "Bloody"

  • "Just so"

  • "Theoretically"


Vary the sentence length between characters


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...