Saturday, October 28, 2017

world building - In Science Fiction, how does one do research, but write at the same time?


I have posted twice before to writers.stackexchange and I compliment the people who answered me.


As a result, I am going to start writing seriously without over reliance on craft books, even if I put out pure crap for awhile. However, I still couldn't help myself from reading one more craft book titled "Worlds of Wonder: How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" by David Gerrold. Gerrold emphasizes that his book is about coaching, not teaching, and espouses some of the same philosophies as the people who answered my first post ("critique groups...").


Gerrold's book also helps address my second post ("world sketches...") along with the other responders.


To get to my question, Gerrold states that world building requires research. He also advocates setting daily quotas for the number of words written for discipline. If I chose to outline a book to research because I think it will help with the writing, then I am spending time on that project and not writing . Does research time count as writing time, should multiple projects be worked on at the same time to "keep feeding the pipeline", or some other scheme be used to meet quota?


Craig




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...