Friday, December 15, 2017

Is it secure (safe) to inform a user logging in that "on user with that login ID exists, please create a login"


In early usability testing, I had a user click the Login button instead of Register and then try entering a variety of Email and Password combinations. Of course, they had not account.


I'm thinking that if they enter an invalid User ID (we use email addr right now) we'd say "there is no account with that ID, make sure your Registered".


I don't see this very often in other UI's though. And I suppose there's a risk that someone could try a zillion random email addresses until they get something other than "no user with that email".


I looked @ CheddarGetter.com, for example, and they don't do that. BUT if I click the "forgot my password" and then enter an invalid User ID it'll tell me then. So if it's safe to do it in the latter, it seems safe in the former.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...