Friday, December 22, 2017

stroke - How to trace pattern along a path in GIMP?


I need to know how to trace patterns along paths, like in this image:


enter image description here


I've tried to stroke the selection with pattern, but that obviously doesn't care about any angles and only works like a mask.



Answer



GIMP isn't really the right kind of software to do that. You'd be better with vector image editing software such as Inkscape, which is also free and open source like GIMP. Or if you have money to burn, there's always Adobe Illustrator.


When you see graphics like that, these are nearly always done in vector image editing software, not using raster image editors such as GIMP/Photoshop.



There's a tutorial here to create a rope pattern along a path using Inkscape. Inskcape has a specific Pattern Along a Path effect for those type of effects.


Here's an example I made using that tutorial in Inkscape, although my attempt is a bit crap. I'm sure you could do better with more care.


Example made in Inskcape


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...