Sunday, December 17, 2017

pseudonym - Should I use a pen name so I don't get confused with other authors with similar names?


I have a common(ish) name, with at least one other writer out there with my exact name, although he writes in a different genre than I'm interested in, and another with a similar name that DOES write in my field of interest.


But I like my name.



Would it make more sense to pick a different name so I don't get confused with the other authors, or go ahead an use it and enjoy the accidental popularity that might come from people's confusion?



Answer



That would be an excellent question for an agent or publisher. If you're remotely ambivalent, use their suggestion. You can also use a middle initial.


I use pseudonyms for personal and professional reasons, but my long-term experience for fiction is about 3:1 in favor of authors using their actual name and more like 10:1 for nonfiction. If you have journal articles or other academic works, you should continue to use your actual name because reputation is such a key. With fiction, class shows, regardless of reputation. Even John Grisham has a few books well below the radar screen only to come back with a bestseller. Of course, one must get on the radar screen ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...