Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Hiding vs. disabling actions and show a message on mobile


EDIT To clarify, I meant hiding vs. disabling actions with a message (similar to a toast) showing why it's disabled.


I'm curious as to whether it makes sense to hide or disable actions on mobile. I've read a couple of threads on this already, but it seems to mostly be focused on desktop applications (see here: Don't hide or disable menu items?).


I am wondering if it is different for mobile design? I have never seen an action disabled on mobile. Also, Android's developer action bar guidelines recommends:



The action bar should show only those actions that are available to the user. If an action is unavailable in the current context, hide it. Do not show it as disabled.




For some context, depending on the user's permissions, the actions (in a bottom bar) they see will change. They may see upload, and sometimes they don't see it. What are the best practices? Is it better to just hide it to keep the UI clean, or should we disable it? In some cases, based on their permissions, they may never have a certain action.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...