Monday, July 16, 2018

uploading - Multiple file selection for web file upload


I was recently asked what it would take to do multiple file uploads from a a web page with a traditional single selection browse box. My first reaction was, you can't!! Browsers don't allow it. I was told Yahoo Mail could do it, so I took a closer look.



Well well, it appears some browsers will allow it.


I came across a few examples, some pure HTML, some not, I am sure there are more:


jQuery Multiple File Upload Plugin


YUI 2: Uploader


So, my question is do users want this functionality? Is it confusing or a really nice convenience? I must admit, I use Yahoo Mail daily and until brought to my attention, never used or knew about the multiple file selections for attachment capability.



Answer



My company's desktop software implements multiple file selection. Like you noted, most users miss it even though the title bar on the File Open dialog says "Select One or More Files". However, our power users really appreciate the feature and can't imagine not having it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...