Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Pixel precision of wireframes?


I was asked to design a series of interactive wireframes using Axure for client who wanted to see how we would approach a design process. I made the designs in grey scale in relatively medium fidelity but I was strongly recommended by some other designers that I should make the wireframes as pixel perfect as possible (even though we are using placeholders and no color). I am a little confused about this since the concept of wireframes is to quickly show a proof of concept and to drive the thought process.


I do understand a clean and well designed wireframe is pleasing to the eyes and might have a more positive response,but the challenge is that making it so pixel perfect\precise involves as much time as creating a visual design and I dont want to get into the trap of users thinking that this is the final shell upon which color has just be applied and then the design is complete.


So my question is that is there any real advantage in making wireframes pixel perfect and where are those specific cases.


I did look at the questions How much detail in wireframes? and Using color in wireframes…is this a “no no”? but they dont answer the question I have.


Edit: Well what I meant by pixel perfect was like perfect alignment,ensuring the grid contents have exact spacing on each side and we are using the exact icon sizes which would be used in a mobile space



Answer



In my opinion having wireframes pixel imperfect is definitely the way to go. I prefer a sketchy style for two reasons:




  1. It drives my inspiration. By not worrying about creating perfectly looking wireframes it's easier to test different iterations and I'm much more able work out creative approaches than when creating strict and perfectly aligned wireframes.

  2. Usually when clients see pixel perfect wireframes they judge it as if it's a finished design. By using a sketchy style it's much more clear that this is a conceptual work in progress. You can't imagine how often I have clients asking why I didn't use any color.


By the way, a really great tool to create sketchy wireframes is Balsamiq Mockups.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...