Saturday, July 28, 2018

login - Why is the common practice of sign in error message always mix the wrong username/password cases together?


Example: When I try to sign in a service with a Username / Password combination, the error message always returns as "Username or password is invalid." But the actual case is that I input a wrong username which doesn't even exist on this site. Why doesn't the message simply tell me the username doesn't exist?


I tried with several services. Only Facebook tells me my account doesn't exist. Others (Google, Twitter, SlideShare, Yahoo!) just don't rule out the possibility that password is wrong.



I am wondering why this is a common practice. Is it some tradition dated back from old-time limitation which has great potential to improve, or does it behave like this for some legal reason?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...